Friday 1 November 2019

TUKARAM, THE SAINT POET OF MAHARASHTRA



TUKARAM, THE SAINT POET OF MAHARASHTRA
      (A BRIEF INTRODUCTION)

Tukaram, the saint poet of Maharashtra, lived in the 17th century. He came from a poor peasant family. He was born in the little village of Dehu, sixteen miles north-west of Poona, probably in the year 1608 A.D. He by caste a Sudra. His father was a petty corn dealer. Unlike fatalists, he does not blame external forces for his infirmities and misfortunes.    In one of his songs addressed to God, he says: ‘O though great One,’ ‘Thy majesty is beyond all description.  How shall I hymn thee? Let Thy grace protect us.’ ‘My enemies are not in the world outside.  It is the passions within me that bring dangers and difficulties.  Who but Thou can save us from their attacks?”

Like Ramanuja, Madhavacharya, Ram Das, he, too, was influenced by the great tide of vigour that emanated from Shankacharya and swept round India by south, west, and north in a spiral curve.
Following the mystics both in the East and the West, Tukraram describes God as the Bridegroom.  He sings: ‘As the chaste wife longs only to see her Lord, such am I to Vitthala (a Hindu deity worshipped in Maharashtra).
Tukaram worshipped Krishna and his spouse Rukmini. He followed the Maharashtra school of bakti, headed by Jnaneshvara, Namdev and Eknath. The bakti of these saint poets had for its symbol the pure and ser3ene love of the husband and wife, not the temptations of love of Krishna and Radha.
As a poet, Tukaram occupies a unique place in the galaxy of the saints of Maharashtra. According to J.Nelson Fraser and K.B.Marthe, the translators of his poems into English “In the accomplishment of character, intelligence and composition he is second to none among the MARATHA WRITERS.  He is the greatest of mystics who have brought about a high degree of reconciliation between worldly and spiritual.”
Tukaram composed hundreds of poems touching ‘the various phases of Man’s life, his aspirations, his longings to achieve liberation --- the supreme goal of his life.”

Tukaram’s humility is unparallel. He writes: “I am a man of low degree ---- why should I be proud? It is you that people honour in me, O Narayana. What pleasure or pain can I find in that? Honour and dishonor spring from the qualities of men.  I am like a rag that men set on their heads to honour it, because it once held a golden coin. People honour me, but I am not what they honour; what reason is there to delight in so feeble a creature.”

He shows the same humility about his status as a poet: ‘Some one may say of me’, “You are a poet, but my speech is not my own.  It is not my own contrivance that is at work. the pervader of the world set me speaking.  Weak as I am, what power have I to disarm? What I say is what Govinda prompts.  I am appointed to sit and measure out, but I am nothing, the authority of master is all. Tuka says, I am a faithful henchman, I bear the seal of my master’s name.”

And finally this is what he says about the arrogance in other poets:” The company of great poets would contaminate me; they foully abuse their gifts. Those who delight in pride are blind and deaf; their faces shall e blackened with shame at last.  Red lac may be put next to gold, but their properties continue what they were.  Men fall into confusion, says Tuka, because they do not know the difference betwe4ebn a servant and a master.”

     
                                                                        ----------            G. R. KANWAL    


                       


No comments:

Post a Comment