Thursday 29 June 2023

A CHRISTIAN PRAYER

 

                       A CHRISTIAN PRAYER          

Given below is a Christian prayer which is just like other prayers carried in various sacred books of the world. It is quoted by Dr. Bhagavan Das in his book The Essential Unity of All Religions published in 1936.

According to several biographical sources Dr. Bhagavan Das was an Indian Theosophist and a distinguished public figure. He worked for some time in the Central Legislative Assembly of British India. He was, however, an advocate of Indian freedom from British rule. He was the  founder of  Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapith. As an eminent scholar, he had received many educational and literary degrees. The Government of India awarded him Bharat Ratna in 1958 for his contributions to education, philosophy and social reform. Born in Benares on 12 January 1869, he passed away on 18 September 1958.

The Christian Prayer mentioned above reads as follows:

     “Lead me, O Lord, in Thy righteousness. Make Thy Way straight before my face. Cleanse Thou me from secret faults. Keep back Thy servant from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

         Search me, O God!, and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts, and see if there be any wicked way in me; and lead me in the Way Everlasting.

          Show me Thy Ways , O Lord ! Teach me Thy Paths ; and lead me in Thy Truth; Thou art the God of my Salvation. Open Thou mine eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy law. Quicken Thou me according to Thy Word. Remove from me the way of lying. (Source: Bible; Old Testament; Psalms.)”

                                                            *******

G.R.Kanwal

29. 6. 2023

              

No comments:

Post a Comment