Saturday 18 January 2020

A LOVE LETTER BY JOHN KEATS



A LOVE LETTER BY JOHN KEATS
English romantic poet John Keats was born at Moorgate, City of London, on 31st October 1795 and passed away in Italy  on 23rd February 1821at the young age of 26.  He was a patient of tuberculosis which curbed his physical stamina but  not his poetic creativity.  In spite of living a short life, he has left behind a good deal of great poetry, especially his famous odes which find place in university curriculum almost everywhere in the world.  Some of his quotations are ever green.  They are easily memorable and vastly quotable.  For example:
            A thing of beauty is a joy for ever. Its loveliness increases, it will never pass into nothingness.  Beauty is truth, truth beauty,--that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know. Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. The poetry of the earth is never dead. If poetry comes not as naturally as leaves to a tree it had better not come at all. Scenery is fine – but human nature is finder. Love is my religion, I could die for it. I have loved the principle of beauty in all things. I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart’s affections and the truth of the imagine. The world is a vale of tears.
            The letter that follows was written to his lady love Fanny Brawne. She is said to have met Keats, who was her neighbor in Hamstead in 1818 when Keats was at the height of creative activity.
             The Letter: “You have absorb’d me. I have a sensation as the present moment as though I was dissolving ---I should be exquisitely  miserable without the hope of seeing you .  I should be afraid to separate myself far from ou.  My sweet Fanny, will your heart never change?  My love, will it? I have no limit now to my love….Your note came in just here.  I cannot be happier away from you. ‘Tis richer than an Argosy of Pearls. Do not threat me even in jest. I have been astonished that Men could die martyrs for religion --- I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more----I could be martyred for my religion --- Love is my religion ---I could die for that.  I could die for you.  My Creed is Love and you are its only tenet. You have ravished me away by a Power I cannot resist; and yet I could resist till I saw you; and even since I have seen you I have endeavoured often ‘ to reason against the reasons of my Love.’ I can do that no more --- the pain would be too great. My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you “
                         In my opinion, this is one of the best letters ever written by a poet-lover  to his mistress. But Matthew Arnold  for whom for poetry the idea is everything; the rest is a world of illusion, of division,  and for whom the strongest part of religion is its unconscious poetry, the letter written by Keats is the complete enervation of the writer. “We have the tone, or rather the entire want of tone, the abandonment of all reticence and all dignity, of the merely sensuous man, of the man who is passion’s slave.:
                        Arnold goes on to say Keats’s love-letter is the love-letter of a surgeon’s apprentice. (It refers to the initial career of Keats) . It has in its relaxed self-abandonment something underbred and ignoble, as of a youth ill brought up, without the training which teaches us that we must put some constraint upon our feelings and upon the expression of them.
                            Matthew Arnol was a moral educationist.  He did not have that poetic liberalism which was the hallmark of romantic poets.  Look at Shelley’s lines: “O lift me as a wave, a leaf, a cloud, I fall upon the thorn of life, I bleed.” For Keats, sensations rather than thoughts were important. The love-letter quoted here is an unbounded expression of a lover whose days in this world were numbered. He was at that time a most critical victim of a fatal disease. His only life-support was his lady love. In his despair, he even longed to believe in immortality and wrote to Fanny: “I shall never be able to bid you an entire farewell.  If I am destined to be happy with you here ----how short is the longest life.  I wish to believe in immortality---I wish to live with you for           ever.”

18th January 2020                                                       G. R. KANWAL    


No comments:

Post a Comment