Tuesday, 8 September 2026

LEAD KINDLY LIGHT

 

          LEAD KINDLY LIGHT

            Lead Kindly Light is a poem written by Cardinal John Henry Newman. He was an English poet, theologian and academic. Born on February 21, 1801. In the city of London, England ,  he died in Edgbaston, Birmingham, England, on August 11, 1890.

            His poem mentioned above is a spiritual lyric. It is loved and appreciated by every reader who knows human pride which ultimately ends in humility.

            Initially, man regards himself self-reliant in the difficult journey of life. His pride enables him to lead a life of enjoyments with no thought of God. But not long after he faces difficulties. Darkness envelopes his path and he feels the need of step by step light,  which means divine help and guidance. His pride vanishes giving enough room to humility. He then bursts into a hymn addressed to God and prays : Lead Kindly Light. The word ‘Light’ symbolizes God who is kind to humans when they surrender themselves before Him.

                 The poet believes that the end of earthly life and suffering will result in meeting his loved ones who died in the past and are presently in heaven with peaceful angelic faces.

                        The full text of the poem which was written in 1833 was the result of an unfortunate event that caused fever to the poet, making him not only physically sick but also emotionally distressed.

                                    LEAD KINDLY LIGHT

Lead, Kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom,

Lead Thou me on;

The night is dark, and I am far from home,

Lead Thou me on.

Keep Thou my feet;

I do not ask to see the distant scene;

one step enough for me.

 

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that

Thou shouldst lead me on;

I loved to choose and see my path; but now

Lead Thou me on.

I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears, pride ruled my will; Remember not past years.

 

So long Thy power hath blessed me, sure it still

Will  lead me on.

O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till

The night is gone;

And with the morn those angel faces smile,

Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile.

                                                *******

G. R. Kanwal

8 September 2026

                                                            ---------

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment