Saturday 1 July 2023

A DIVINE POEM

 

                A  DIVINE  POEM

         English poet and essayist, Joseph Addison (1.5.1672—17.6.1719)  wrote a poem with the title “When All  Thy Mercies , O MY GOD” and published it in his newspaper “The Spectatator” on 9 August 1712. It is a hymn inspired by Psalm 89:1 “I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever “ and was first published following an essay on gratitude, accompanied by the following introduction:

            “I have already obliged the public with some pieces of divine poetry which have fallen into my hands, and as they have met with the reception they deserve, I shall from time to time, communicate any work of the same nature which has not appeared in print, and may be acceptable to my readers.”

            When All Thy Mercies, O My God ” is a great poem of gratitude to God whose mercies are unlimited and are provided to every human being from the beginning till the death of his life. The poem gives concrete examples like:

                 Unnumbered comforts to my soul

                  Thy tender care bestowed,

                   Before my tender heart conceived

                   From whom those comforts flowed.                  

It is not only in present life that God pours His manifold mercies upon His children but as the poet says:

                     Through every period of my life

                      Thy goodness I’ll pursue

                      And after death, in distant worlds,

                        The glorious theme renew.

The poem ends with the stanza”

                         

                        Through all eternity to Thee

                        A joyful song I’ll raise;

                          For, oh, eternity’s is too short

                        To utter all Thy praise!

 The lyrical quality of the poem has made it an all-time popular hymn.

                          Here are three more exemplary stanzas:

                       

When in the slippery paths of youth

With heedless steps I ran,

Thine arm unseen conveyed me safe

And led me up to man.

 

Through hidden dangers, toils and deaths,

It gently cleared my way;

And through the passing snares of vice,

More to be feared than they.

 

O how shall words with equal warmth

The gratitude declare,

That glows within my ravished heart?

But thou canst read it there.

 

                                    ********

G. R. Kanwal

1st July 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment