Sunday 16 July 2023

I LOVE ALL BEAUTEOUS THINGS

I LOVE ALL BEAUTEOUS THINGS

I love all beauteous things,

I seek and adore them :

God hath no better praise,

And man in his hasty days

Is honoured for them.

 

I too will something make

And joy in the making ;

Altho’ to-morrow it seem

Like the empty words of a dream

Remembered on waking.

 

This short poem is about the creation of beautiful things . If man creates them in his fast-running days, he is honoured by God because God praises beauty. The author of this poem is the English poet Robert Bridges who was Poet Laureate from 1913 to 1930.  He was a doctor, a sensitive scholar and an excellent artist. He sought and worshipped beautiful things.  Beauty  to him was as  important as his religion. Poet Arthur Symons (1865-1945) said Bridges puts into his verse only what remains when all the others have finished …It is nearest in words to silence.

 

Before concluding, let me say that  many philosophers have stated it as man’s earthly duty to leave it more beautiful than he finds  it.

      

                                    *********

G. R. Kanwal

16th July 2023

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment