Monday 1 March 2021

WALT WHITMAN : A GREAT MAN AND A GREAT POET

 

WALT WHITMAN : A GREAT MAN AND A GREAT POET

Walt Whitman is the poet whose poems I studied long ago but whose influence on my mind continues to grow perpetually. He was a great humanist and a great poet of political, social and spiritual democracy.     

He was born on 31st May 1819 at West Hills, Long Island, USA, attended Brooklyn public schools, worked in printing offices, taught in a country school, edited newspapers, ran a book store and  a printing office.

His literary career started in 1851 and ended with his death on 26th March 1892 in Camden where he was buried in Harleigh Cemetry.     

What makes him an immortal poet of the world is his bulky collection of poems The Leaves of Grass. Its first edition was published in 1855 and the 6th which was the last in 1876.

According to Leslie A. Fielder (Selections from Leaves of Grass, Bell Publishing Company, USA, 1959), the first edition appeared without any name on the title page, though in the poem eventually called “Song of Myself”, the name “Walt Whitman” was used.

The following lines which were written in 1876 were signed in 1881:

Come, said my Soul,

Such verses for my Body let us write,

          (for we are one,)

That should I after death invisibly return,

Or, long, long hence, in other spheres,

There to some group of mates

The chants resuming,

(Tallying Earth’s soil, trees, winds,

tumultuous waves,)

Ever with pleas’d smile I may keep on,

Ever and ever yet the verses coming ------

As, first, I here and now,

Singing for Soul and Body,

Set to them my name,

WALT WHITMAN.

Initially, there was a heart-breaking  criticism about the book. The London Critic called it “the expression of a beast”; and The New York Times disgracefully observed: “What a conglomerate of thought is this before us, with insolence, philosophy, beauty, and gross indecency tumbling in drunken confusion  through the pages? Who is this arrogant young man who proclaims himself the Poet of the time, and who writes like a pig among a rotten garbage of licentious thoughts?”      

It was, however, the American poet Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882),  the leader of the transcendentalist movement , who defended Walt Whitman and wrote to him in a letter dated 21st July 1855 that his  book was a wonderful gift and the most extraordinary piece of wit and wisdom that America had yet contributed.  “I give you joy of your free and brave thought. I have great joy in it. I find incomparable things said incomparably well, as they must be. I find the courage of treatment which so delights us, and which large perception only can inspire . It has the best merits, namely of fortifying and encouraging.”

It is true that Whitman’s poetry lacks aesthetic discipline and artistic design because it is mostly a spontaneous overflow of powerful emotions un-recollected in tranquility. Yet, Whitman is a great poet of democracy and humanism. His peculiar art of versification has its own charm and beauty. Through his original feelings, thoughts and ideas, he  vigorously touches our hearts , minds and souls and transports us to a new world of poetry created by him.  A massive number of his poetic lines haunt us for a long, long.

 A unique feature of Whitman the man is that he celebrates every particle of life with fulsome vigour. 

He loves the entire  world irrespective of its manifold castes and creeds, religions and cultures, politics and governments.  His poetic voice has a touch of universality.  He is as much a  poet of both the material world as of spiritual heavens. Artistic deficiency in  a great poet of the masses as he is does not offend  our aesthetic sense.  It rather adds a new  respectable dimension to it.

Literary historian Arthur Compton-Rickett writes in his A History of  English Literature (THOMAS NELSON AND SONS LTD, LONDON, 1955):  In aim a literary revolutionary, Whitman is essentially a loafer, a loafer along the crowded streets, a loafer along  the countryside, a loafer both in the spiritual and physical sense; and his writings are the frankly direct expression of his loafings.

According to another English writer and critic W.M.Rossetti (1829-1919), Whitman breaks with all precedent. He thinks, sees, invents, executes, and initiates out of his own personality. He brings a glowing mind into contact with his own time and people, and the flame from which  it catches fire is Americanism.

What follows is a selection of a small bunch of lines from Whitman’s  different poems. They pose no difficulty of comprehension because the language used by him is that of the common people spoken in  streets.  

 

E X T R A C T S

 

“Walt Whitman, a kosmos, of Manhattan the son,

Turbulent, fleshy, sensual, eating , drinking and breeding,

No sentimentalist, no stander above men and women or apart from them,

No more modest than immodest.

Unscrew the locks from the doors!

Unscrew the doors themselves from their jambs!

Whoever degrades another degrades me,

And whatever is done or said returns at last to me.

Through me the afflatus surging and surging, through me the current and index.

I speak the pass-word primeval, I give the sign of democracy,

By God! I will accept nothing which all cannot have their counterpart of on the same terms.

Through me many long dumb voices,

Voices of the in terminable generations of prisoners and slaves,

Voices of the diseas’d and despairing and of thieves and dwarfs, …

Through me forbidden voices,

Voices of sexes and lusts, voices veil’d and I remove the veil,

Voices indecent by me clarified and transfigured.

                             ……

I hear the sound I love, the sound of human voice,

I hear all sounds running together, combined, fused or following,

Sounds of the city and sounds out of the city, sounds of the day and night,

Talkative young ones to those that like them, the loud laugh  of work-people at their meals.

                             …….

To be in any form, what is that?

(Round and round we go, all of us, and ever come back thither.)

                             …..

          I have said  that  the soul is not mor than the body,

And I have said that the body is not more than the soul,

And nothing, not God, is greater to one than one’s self is,

And  whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to his own funeral drest in his shroud….

                                      ……..

 

 

 

 

 

 I celebrate myself, and sing myself,

And what I assume you shall assume,

For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you

I loafe and invite my soul,

I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spear of summer grass.

                                      ………..

Swiftly arose and spread around me the peace and knowledge that pass all the argument of the earth,

And I know that the hand  of God is the promise of my own,

And I know that the spirit of God is the brother of my own,

And that all the men ever born are also my brothers, and the women my sisters and lovers,

And that a kelson of the creation is love,

And limitless are leaves stiff or drooping in the fields,


And brown ants in the little wells beneath them,

And mossy scabs of the worm fence, heap’s stones, elder, mullein and poke-weed.

Returning, resuming, I thread my way through the hospitals,

The hurt and wounded I pacify with soothing hand .

I sit by the restless all the dark night, some are so young,

Some suffer so much, I recall the experience sweet and sad,

(Many a soldier’s loving arms about this neck have cross’d and rested) ……

Many a soldier’s kiss dwells on these  bearded lips.)

                             …………….

         

I was looking a long while for Intentions,

For a clew to the history of  the past for myself, and for these chants ---and now I have found it,

It is not in those paged fables in the libraries (them I neither accept nor reject,)

It is not more in the legends than in all else,

It is in the present --- it is in this earth to-day,

It is in Democracy --- (the purport and aim of all the past,)

It is t he life of one man or one woman today ----the average man of to-day.

                                      ……………

 

 

 

 

 

 

                   ……..

A child said What is the grass? Fetching it to me with full hands;

How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is any more than he.

I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven.

Or I guess it is the handkerchief of the Lord,

A scented gift  and remembrancer designedly dropt,

Bearing the owner’s name someway in the corners, that we may see and remark , and say Whose?

Or I guess the grass is itself a child, the produced babe of the vegetation.      

                             ……..

I am not an earth nor an adjunct of earth,

I am the mate and companion of people, all just as immortal and fathomless as myself. (They do not know how immortal, but I know.)

                             ……….

I am of old and young, of foolish as much as the wise,

Regardless of others, ever regardful of others,

Maternal as well as paternal, a child as well as a man,

Stuff’d with the stuff that is coarse and stuff’d with the stuff that is fine,

One of  the Nation of many nations, the smallest the same and the larger the same.

                             …..

 

In all people I see myself, none more and not one a barley corn less,

And the good or bad I say of myself I say of them….

I know I am deathless,

I know this orbit of mine cannot be swept by a carpenter’s compass,

I know I shall not pass like a child’s carlacue cut with a burnt stick at night.

I know I am august,..

I exist as I am, that is enough.

                                                …..

I am the poet of the Body and I am the poet of the Soul,

The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me,…

I am the poet of the woman the same as the man,

And I say it is as great to be a woman as to be a man,

And I say there is nothing greater than the mother of men.

                             ………

I accept Reality and dare not question it,

Materialism first  and last imbuing.

                             ……..

The following extract was quoted by Bertrand Russell in one of his books while dealing with the secret of happiness.

I think I could turn and live with animals; they are so placid and self-contain’d,

I stand and look at them long and long,

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,

They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,

They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,

No one is dissatisfied, nor one is demented with the mania of owning things,

No one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,

Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth.

So, they show their relation to me and I accept them,

They bring me tokens of myself, they evince them plainly in their possession.

I wonder where they get those tokens,

Did I pass that way huge times ago and negligently drop them?”

                             -------------------------------

And finally, an extract from OLD CHANTS about America’s  indebtedness to the great  poems, books and authors of the past.

“(Of many debts incalculable,

Happy our New World’s chieftest debt is to old poems.)

Ever so far back, precluding these, America,

Old chants, Egyptian priests, and those of Ethiopia,

The Hindu epics, the Grecian, Chinese, Persian,

The Bible books and prophets, and deep idyls of the Nazarene,

The Iliad, Odyssey, plots, doings, wanderings of Eneas,

Hesiod, Eschylus, Sophocles, Merlin, Arthur,

The Cid, Roland at Roncesvalles, the Nibelungen,

The troubadours, minstrels, minnesingers, skalds,

Chaucer, Dante, flocks of singing birds,

The  Border Minstrelsy, the bye-gone ballads, feudal  tales, essays, plays,

Shakspere, Schiller, Walter Scott, Tennyson, . . . .

Thou! Pausing a moment, drooping thine eyes upon  them, blent with their music,

Well pleased , accepting all, curiously prepared for by them,

Thou enterest at thy entrance porch.”

(Note the original spellings of words and names in this extract have  been retained as they were.)       

****************

 

2nd March 2021                                                  G. R. Kanwal 

No comments:

Post a Comment