Tuesday 18 June 2024

I SHALL PASS THROUGH THIS WORLD BUT ONCE

 

                I SHALL PASS THROUGH THIS WORLD BUT ONCE

“I Shall Not Pass This Way Again” is another title of the same poem. The author of both the versions is the same, i.e. Etienne de Grellet. He was a Quaker missionary. Born in France on 28 October 1772, he died in the United States on 16 November 1855. Some anthologies have published his poem without his name because the poem was not then available in his anthology.

The subject matter of the poem is available in the Holy Bible.

            By its very tone and purpose the poem is inspirational. Its gist should be read and remembered by every human being like this : “I shall pass through this world but once, Any  good , therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. “

            Here is the full text of the poem “I Shall Not Pass This Way Again”:

“Through this toilsome world, alas!

Once and only once I pass;

If a kindness I may show,

If a good deed I may do

To a suffering fellow man,

Let me do it while I can.

No delay, for it is plain

I shall not pass this way again.”

                                                *******

G.R.Kanwal

18th June 2024

  

No comments:

Post a Comment