Friday 3 November 2023

GOD IS OMNIPRESENT

 

GOD IS OMNIPRESENT

What follows is a short extract from the American poet Walt Whitman’s long poem “Song of Myself”. Whitman was a people’s poet, essayist and journalist. He was born on 31 May 1819 and died on 26 March 1892. As a poet he was very popular, especially through his collection of poems “Leaves of Grass.”  He was both a realist and transcendentalist.

Going by the theme and the language of the extract, the title given by me is both suitable and appropriate.  The text of the extract reads as given below:

 “And I say to mankind, Be not curious about God,

For I who am curious about each am not curious about God,

(No array of terms can say how much I am at peace about God and about death.)    

I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least,

Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself.

Why should I wish to see God better than this day?

I see something of God each hour of the twenty- four, and each moment then,

In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass,

I find letters from God dropt in the street, and every one is sign’d by God’s name.

And I leave them where they are, for I know  wheresoe’er I go

Others will punctually come for ever and ever.

                                    *******

G.R.Kanwal

3rd October 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment