Sunday 1 October 2023

Gandhiji on Communal Harmony

 

Gandhiji on Communal Harmony

Here are two quotations on communal harmony from Gandhiji’s journal Harijan. The first is dated March 16, 1947 when the partition of India was only five months away. It reads as follows:-

            “My experience of India tells me that the Hindus and Muslims know how to live at peace among themselves. I decline to believe that people have said good-bye to their senses, so as to make it impossible to live at peace with each other as they have done for generations. For, I believe with the late poet Iqbal that the Hindus and Muslims, who have lived together long under the shadows of the mighty Himalayas and have drunk the waters of the Ganges and the Jamuna, have a unique message for the world.”

            The second quotation is dated January 18, 1948 when the partition of India  had taken place and Pakistan had been formed from August 15, 1947. In this quotation Gandhiji  says:-

“Before I knew anything of politics in my early youth, I dreamt the dream of communal unity of the heart. I shall jump in the evening of my life like a child to feel that the dream has been realized in this life. The wish for living the full span of life, portrayed by the seers of old, and which they permit us to set down at 125 years, will then revive . Who would not risk sacrificing  his life for the realization  of such a  dream? Then, we shall have real Swaraj. Then, though legally and geographically we may still be two States in daily life no one will think we are separate States. The vista before me seems to me to be glorious to be true. Yet, like a child in a famous picture drawn by a famous painter, I shall not be happy till I have got it. I live and want to live for no lesser goal.”

Gandhiji was shot dead  on 30th January 1948. He was born on 2nd October 1869.

                                    ********

G. R. Kanwal

1st October 2023

 

  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment