Saturday, 29 August 2026

SILENCE

 

                                SILENCE

          Silence has many meanings, Simple ones are complete absence of sound , noise, or speech.

          It is also defined as a refusal, failure, or choice not to speak or communicate.

          One more definition says: It is an act of keeping information back or hidden or withheld.

          I believe that silence is a form of wordless speech. It conveyance its meaning through facial expression.  

          Some synonyms of silence are : stillness, muteness, voicelessness, inarticulateness, and reticence.

          If you are silent you are quiet and calm or you are unwilling to communicate vocally.

          Greek-Roman philosopher Plutarch (C.46 -after 119/125 AD) said: He can never speak well, who knows not how to hold his peace.

          Some more important quotes are:

*True silence is the rest of the mind, and is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refinement. It is a great virtue; it covers folly, keeps secrets, avoids disputes, and prevents sin.---English Quaker William Penn (1644-1718).

*Speech is great, but silence is greater. ---Scottish essayist and historian Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881).

 *Silence in times of suffering is the best.---English poet and literary critic John Dryden (1631-1700).

*The unspoken word never does harm. ---Louis Kossuth Hungarian patriot (1802-94).

          Finally, the following words of Indian saint and anti- colonial leader Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (1869-1948):

“I find that silence avoids irritation. There is a perceptible drop in blood pressure when I observe silence. After every silence I feel recuperated and have greater energy for work. The output of work during silence is much greater than when I am not silent. The mind enjoys a peace during silence which it does not without it. The decision to be silent itself produces a soothing effect on me. It lifts a burden off my mind. My experience tells me that silence soothes the nerves in a manner no drug can.

                                                ******

G.R.Kanwal

29 August 2026

No comments:

Post a Comment