THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER
The Rime of the Ancient
Marine (published in 1834) is a lyrical ballad written by the English poet and literary
critic Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834).
The ballad relates the
sufferings and redemption of an old sailor and his mariners because he irreligiously
shoots and kills an albatross leading to his and his companions supernatural
punishment. He is forgiven only when he admires water snakes and exhibits deep love
for them. He tells this story to a wedding guest whom he detains when he was
going to attend the marriage celebration.
The moral of this ballad is that human beings can gain spiritual
redemption only by learning to love God’s creatures to gain spiritual
redemption.
Look
at the following lines from the poem:
O Wedding-guest! This soul hath been
Alone on a wide wide sea
So lonely ‘twas, that God himself
Scarce seemed there to be.
O sweeter than the Marriage-feast,
‘Tis sweeter far to me
To walk together to the Kirk
With a goodly company.
To walk together to the Kirk
And all together pray,
While each to his great father bends,
Old men, and babes, and loving
friends,
And Youths, and Maidens gay.
Farewell! But this I tell
To thee, thou wedding-guest !
He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.
He prayeth best who loveth best,
All things both great and small :
For the dear God, who loveth us,
He made and loveth all.
Before
the above-mentioned moral of the ballad , this is how he praised
the water snakes:
Beyond the shadow of thee ship
I watch’d the water-snakes :
They mov’d in tracks of shining white
;
And when they rear’d, the elfish light
Fell off in hoary flakes.
Within the shadow of the ship
I watch’d their rich attire :
Blue, glossy green, and velvet black
They coil’d and swam; and every track
Was a flash of golden fire,
O happy living things ! no tongue
Their beauty might declare :
A spring of love gusht from my heart,
And I bless’d them unaware !
Sure my kind saint took pity on me,
And I bless’d them unaware.
The self-same moment I could pray;
And from my neck so free
The Albatross fell off, and sank
Like lead into the sea.
*****
G.R.Kanwal
11 August 2026
No comments:
Post a Comment